Saturday, March 25, 2006

PRECIOUS LARA "TRAPPED" IN BINIBINING PILIPINAS CONTRACT?


By KAYE VILLAGOMEZ of Manila Bulletin

Reigning Miss International Precious Lara Quigaman has had difficulties succumbing to certain dictates set by Bb. Pilipinas management that she once refused to pose sexy for a liquor poster despite threats from Bb. Pilipinas representatives. This, Quigaman disclosed to Manila Bulletin at the press conference for her new TV ad for Centrum multi–vitamins held Thursday at Ratsky Tomas Morato in Quezon City."I even kept the letter wherein they said that they can dethrone me if I don’t do the project. Still, I stood my ground and refused to do it. Nothing happened. I wasn’t dethroned," Quigaman revealed after feeling the need to speak up occurred.The only 2005 Bb. Pilipinas titlist who was not sent to Colombia for official training, Quigaman also expressed that she did not have the power to decide which projects to take. "It all depends on the management. Sometimes I get inside the car without knowing what I will do for the day." Still, she did not question anything until the liquor ad was imposed.Quigaman hesitated to divulge her concerns but was later on convinced to tell the media her real thoughts after realizing, "there are girls who really can’t say what they want to say; I felt I didn’t want to do that liquor project so I refused. I knew I was right in doing so."When asked if people will deem her a swell–head for swimming against the current, Quigaman explained, "I’m not. I’m still the very same person before Miss International. The only reason why I don’t ride the jeep is because I get mugged by people. But if not for that, I don’t mind commuting. My friends have told me that I didn’t change at all. When they see me on TV and other beauty queen functions, they say it’s like a different person because near them, I’m still the same person they kid around with and laugh with—like a Dr. Jekyll & Mr. Hyde persona.
"Being a Bb. Pilipinas title–holder automatically awards the winners an 18–month contract wherein, "Bb. Pilipinas gets to decide on our behalf; the same case happened with this Centrum ad, which I got to enjoy doing naman," told the 23–year-old international titlist.Quigaman was pressed to answer contract questions when the media asked her to confirm future projects specifically talks that she will be paired with Richard Gutierrez for the GMA–7 "Captain Barbell" series." People have asked me already if I am to be Richard’s leading lady for the ‘Captain Barbell’ but I haven’t been told a thing about it yet. I even asked Richard himself if I were to work with him for the project and he said he didn’t know," Quigaman said.With her management contract with Bb. Pilipinas expiring in September, Quigaman revealed she has been scouting for a manager. She has talked to Angeli Pangilinan–Valenciano of Genesis and even considered GMA Artist Center, "but nothing is concrete yet; not until my contract with Binibining is over."For the meantime, the reigning beauty queen can be seen co–hosting "Extra Challenge." "I wanted to try things out. I’m considering hosting, broadcasting and acting. By being a guest co–host in ‘Extra Challenge,’ I have the opportunity to try and see if I’m going to excel in hosting."Regarding the endorsement deal with Centrum which she shares with heartthrob Sam Milby, the international titlist said it is her first time to endorse a product "and luckily it’s one that I really use because I started taking Centrum since the day I got sick after winning Miss International."
Quigaman will be going back to China in August to finish her duties as Miss International. "I’m excited to go back there because I’ll be meeting Jackie Chan. That trip will be the last of my obligation as a titlist as the contract is about to end. Then I’ll see from there what my options are. But in case I’m really offered to do ‘Captain Barbell,’ why not? I’d love to do it."She continued, "I got to meet Richard while doing ‘Extra Challenge’ and he’s really a nice person. Wala siyang reklamo sa kahit anong challenge and I really think he is easy to get along with."Quigaman also admitted breaking up with her Britain–based boyfriend. "The relationship ended after I won Miss International but I have to clear that it had nothing to do with me winning the pageant. We’ve had problems even before Miss International, I must admit that it was part of the reasons why it ended but it’s not fair to blame my winning for it. I knew people will think that way so I wanted to clear that up."However, the doors to a new romance remain closed. "I don’t want to get into a relationship at this point. I want to built my mom a mansion first! It’s my dream for my mom so I will take advantage of the opportunities I have now, make the most of it before getting into something serious."

No comments: